Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Delays

Having finished The Iliad in the first couple days of November, and having decided to get the blog underway before reading any further, it appears I've taken a two-week break from reading at all.  That sucks.

A number of issues intersect here.  Apparently, I have a tendency to go big or don't go at all.  If I don't anticipate having an open stretch in which a project (or the next book) will complete itself, I hestitate to start it.  Actually, the blog notes should help with that-- any delays that come up can be absorbed, because I can easily review what has been covered so far.  I should keep that in mind.

Issue #2: For some reason, I fear running out of project to complete.  That is, I feel that if I were to finish something early, what would I do then?  It's an incredibly stupid attitude-- at this point, I've got shelves and shelves of books that will take years to finish even if read daily, and I keep adding to the collection anyway.  Ultimately, all I do is time-shift anticipated wasted time from the unknown future to the ever-extending present.  I feel like this is a little bit different than procrastination.  But maybe this actually is the central essence of procrastination.

Issue #3: When I'm not reading, I feel like I'm not that good of a reader.  It's weird, because when I'm actually doing the reading, I feel like I love it.  So why don't I recognize that, or know that about myself, when I'm not doing it?  A very bizarre instance of a lack of self-awareness.

In any case, I'm caught up on notes now.  Time to get to the next book

No comments: