Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Odyssey, Book 14

Eumaios the swineherd watches over Odysseus's pigs-- a population that is falling as the suitors greedily eat the herd. He shoos away the dogs as Odysseus (in disguise) approaches, then welcomes him to his home, modest as it is. They eat young swine, as Eumaios tells of his great, and presumed dead, lord Odysseus. Odysseus tells him that Odysseus will indeed return home, but Eumaios won't hear it. And now also laments the fate of Telemachos, about to be ambushed by the suitors. But who are you, stranger?

Odysseus, spinning a tale: "I come from Crete. My father was a great rich man, Kastor, though my mother was a concubine. Upon his death, I was treated badly in the inheritance. I turned to war, and became a great leader of men. So much so that I travelled with Idomeneus [from Crete] in the siege of Ilion. I returned to Crete, but then, restless, travelled to Egypt, landing in the river Aigyptos [the Nile]. My men plundered the Egyptians, who in turn slaughtered us, but I surrendered. I was treated well, but then was conned by a Phoenician into travlling with him in search of fortune. We went to Libya, where I was to be sold, but a storm rose and smashed the ship. I was washed onto the island Thesprosia and taken care of by the hero Pheidon. There I heard that Odysseus was travelling home. I myself was to be taken to the king Akastos on the island of Doulichion, but at sea the men enslaved me instead. They dressed me in rags, then went ashore onto Ithaka. I escaped my bonds by the help of the gods, and made my way to land here."

Eumaios: "Quite a story. But I've been lied to before about Odysseus, and in similar fashion." O: "Here's a deal. I give you permission to kill me if I've talked falsely." E: "Right, make me look bad." They dine, now on the fattest of the pigs-- Eumaios is a virtuous man.

Drunk, and cold, Odysseus seeks a mantle for the night. He spins a story of how he needed a mantle during a cold night in Troy, and how Odysseus tricked another soldier into leaving one for him. Eumaios gladly gives him what he needs, and they retire. Eumaios sleeps with the pigs.

-------------------

I don't think this kind of story is what Athene had in mind when she dressed Odysseus in rags. He's supposed to be a lowly wanderer so he can gather information, and instead he makes himself out to be a great warrior who just happened to be placed in rags by his enemies at the last second. Way to play the part, Odysseus. No wonder Eumaios didn't believe him.

No comments: