Pages

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Second Treatise Of Civil Government (John Locke)

Along with Montesquieu, Locke is cited as the most vital influence on the drafters of the Constitution.  Might as well find out what all the fuss is about.

I was surprised I didn't already own this, but it looks like the only Locke I collected in my philosophy days was the Essay Concerning Human Understanding-- and that more than once.  So once again the library provides.  (The pictured copy is not the one I'm reading.  Same publisher, though.  Mine is a nondescript hardbound blue book by Everyman's Library from 1949.)

According to the introduction, the First Treatise is entirely outdated and not worth the time.  I'll skim through it, but the Second Treatise is where all the action is.  Note: Full title is "An Essay Concerning the True Original, Extent and End of Civil Government".

Keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't turn into another Montesquieu situation.

No comments: