Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Oedipus At Colonus, 3

Oedipus clamors for the protection of Theseus, who denounces Creon for flouting the laws and customs of the city he has entered.  Creon throws it back at him, denouncing Theseus for harboring such an awful, twisted man as Oedipus-- simultaneously gladhanding Theseus for his city's stellar reputation, now at risk.  Oedipus can't take it, and once again protests his innocence.  He cannot be guilty of wrongdoing if all the events were fated, if he was unaware that it was his father who he killed and his mother who he married, and if anyone in his position, knowing what he knew, would have been justified in doing the same.  Theseus sends Creon away, along with a party to retrieve Antigone and Ismene, and threatens Creon with further reprisal if he interferes, or if his co-conspirators don't cooperate.

The Chorus describe the hunt in song, praising the gods of Athens who aid the effort.

The girls are returned to their father, and Oedipus praises Theseus again, almost embarrassed at his devotion.  Theseus tells him he is welcome again, then leaves to take care of urgent but mysterious business.  A stranger from Thebes has arrived to speak with Oedipus, who recognizes immediately that his son is here to draw him back to the family conflict, again in fulfillment of the prophecy.  He greatly desires not to have that conversation, but Antigone convinces him to give his estranged son another chance.

Polynieces enters, bemoaning his father's reduced state.  But down to business.  Polynieces was driven from the city by his younger brother Eteocles.  He then raised an army to take the city back.  He is asking Oedipus to join him to ensure that justice-- the rights of the older brother-- may be established.  Oedipus finally gets to respond to his son, an opportunity he has been waiting for for many years, and he takes full advantage [and it's awesome]:
You trustees of this realm,   since Theseus sent him here
  and asked me to reply, I will.
Nothing less would let him hear my voice.
But now he shall be graced with it
  in accents that will bring him little joy.

Liar!
When you held hte scepter and the throne
  which your brother at the moment holds in Thebes,
  you drove me out,
  drove this your father out,
  displaced me from my city.
You are the reason for these rage--
  rages that make you cry to see,
  now that you have reached rock bottom too.
The season for condolences is past.
What I must bear must last as long as life,
  last in my thoughts of you as my destroyer.
Oh yes, it's you that dragged me down!
You expelled me, you arranged
  that I should beg my daily bread.
But for my two girls
  I should not even be alive if left to you.
It's they who tend me, they preserve me.
They are the ones who play a man's and not a woman's part.

But you, you and your brother-- bastards--
  are no sons of mine.

The eye of Fate is on you now.
Her glance is mild to what it soon shall be
  if once your armies march on Thebes.
Never shall you topple down that city.
Instead, you'll trip up headlong into blood,
  your brother too,
  spattering each other.
Long ago I cursed you both,
  and now once more I summon up those curses,
  let them battle for me.
Let them teach you reverence
  for those that gave you birth.
Let them teach you what contempt is worth
  of an eyeless Father
  who had such worthless sons.

My daughters did not treat me so.
Therefore, if Justice is still seated
  side by side with Zeus
  in ancient and eternal sway,
I consign to perdition
  your sanctimonious supplications
  and your precious throne.
So, leave my sight.  Get gone and die:
  you trash-- no son of mine.
Die,
  with these my curses
  ringing in your ears:
Never to flatten your motherland beneath your spear,
Never to set foot again in Arvgive's vales,
Instead you die,
  die by a brother's blow
  and make him dead by yours
  who drove you out.

That's my prayer for you.
I summon the pitchy gloom of Tartarus
  to gulp you down
  to a new paternal home.
I summon the holy spirits of this place.
I summon Ares the Destroyer,
  who whirled you into hatred and collision.
With these imprecations in your ears, get out.
Go publish them in Thebes.
Go tell your bellicose and trusty champions
  the will and testament
That Oedipus bequeaths to his two sons.
The Chorus suggests that Polynieces leave.

Polynieces is devastated.  He'll be destroyed by his own army if they learn the truth.  He begs his sisters to take care of his grave when he inevitably loses his life.  Antigone asks that he not return to the war at all, but his sense of honor demands that he go back.  He makes her promise again to take care of his grave.  Polynieces exits.

Ismene remains silent.

-----------------------------

The plot is an interesting retrospective on Oedipus's life.  Characters enter, say their peace, and leave.  It allows Oedipus to say what must to said to each.  The structure, actually, calls to mind The Dark Knight Returns, in that individual villains enter, are dealt with, and then Batman moves on to the next.

Tried to find a good performance of Oedipus cursing out Polynieces.  It doesn't appear to have been a part of The Gospel of Oedipus.  There was one made-for-TV version from the '80s that didn't seem to capture the moment very well.  But there was also this:

No comments: